November 19, 2018

History

The history of Bankstown North Public School is a long, rich and varied one. The school began in a weatherboard Anglican Church Hall in 1868. The first public school building was opened in 1880 and, at its present site near the water tower on the Hume Highway, a new two-storey school was opened in 1924. Extensions to this building were completed in 1944, a four room Infants Department was built in 1953 and another permanent building with two classrooms was erected in 1959. Demountable classrooms became a feature of the school in the 1980s.

In 2011, our refurbished Library in the school hall was completed and a new hall and canteen  were added to the existing layout of the school.

In 2013 Bankstown North Public School has approximately 365 students and a growing enrolment pattern; serving a diverse, multicultural and transient population.

For those interested in more details about this school, the library has available for loan a booklet written in 1993 to commemorate the 125th Anniversary of the school. It is a rich source for those with a love of history.